Quirky Rental Knowledge!
- Did you know that when you rent an apartment in many parts of Europe, the kitchen usually comes non-equipped? Yup, that’s right. You, the tenant, are responsible for purchasing and installing the entire kitchen. From cabinets to sinks to dishwashers and more; even hiring the plumber.
- Did you know that in New York, it is typical for the renter to pay a fee equal to one month’s rent to the agent who assisted him/her in finding the apartment of his/her choice?
- Did you know that in Germany, a landlord must have a legitimate reason for not renewing a lease? This offers great protection for the renter.
- Did you know that renting an apartment is referred to as “letting” an apartment in many parts of the world? The signs will often say “Apartment for Let”.
- Did you know that, in Florida, a landlord must provide the following:
- Extermination services
- Locks and keys
- Running water and hot water
- Clean and safe conditions of common areas
- Smoke detection device
- Garbage removal and outside receptacles
Written by Christina Starmer, Instant Tenant-Instant Landlord